Forthcoming Events and Notices
The branch committee has made a change in the meeting days and times for the winter months. See the note below.
(Notes on recent past events are included in the notes.)
Branch meeting changes - June, July and August 2017.
The branch committee considered a change to the days and times for some winter-month meetings, from the third-Wednesday evenings to the third-Saturday afternoons, starting at 1.30pm. This will be held during normal opening hours of the Public Library.
It has some significant advantages for members : use of the library carpark; the lift will be available for access to the first floor; and there will be opportunities to make more effective use of the branch's resource rooms.
The library staff have given approval in principle. At a branch meeting on 15 February, the proposal was approved, for the months of June, July and August. (See the branch Meeting page).
NZSG 50th Anniversary : 15 August 2017 : National Luncheon
The NZ Society of Genealogists celebrated 50 years of operation in June this year at the Conference and AGM held over Queens Birthday Weekend. The actual 50th anniversary day is 15 August 2017
and plans are well under way for a National Luncheon to celebrate the occasion. It is recognised that members cannot be expected to travel long distances for just a lunch, so regional/branch luncheons are being arranged.
The Southland Branch committee is presently planning a local luncheon at a local venue, but is assessing numbers. Details will be posted here as soon as these are known. Southland members interested in joining the local lunch are asked to make their interest known to Roger Washbourn (phone 03-213 0968).
There will be connection to a live-streaming website to receive a nation-wide transmission, co-ordinated from the FRC in Auckland. The following is the timetable:
Further detail will be advised as plans are made - watch here and on the NZSG's website.
- Casual BYO lunch on Tuesday 15 August
- 12 noon - Gather at the venue.
- 12.30pm - While lunch is taken, a live slideshow from the NZSG photographic archive will be tramsmitted.
- 1.30pm on - Speeches by the NZSG Board Chairperson, the national compere, and invited guests.
Return to top of page
Past event : Family History Month : August 2016
The NZ Society of Genealogists has chosen August each year to be Family History Month, and a number of special events were planned to celebrate family history and encourage new members to join this rapidly growing hobby.
The theme for 2016 was Sharing our stories - to encourage families to share their stories with all family members, but expecially the younger generations.
In August 2016 the Southland Branch held a series of 5 lunchtime seminars, in conjunction with the Invercargill Public Library, between 12.15am and 1pm during the week 15~19 August.
A list of topics and times is shown below; all meetings were held in the Public Library's Meeting Room upstairs on the 1st floor. There was an encouraging attendance of up to 30 people at most sessions.
The format is likely to be repeated in 2017; planning is already under way. Details will be posted here as soon as they are known.
- Mon 15 August: Introduction to Genealogy, and services offered by the NZ Society of Genealogists. Roger Washbourn (NZSG).
- Tue 16 August: Introduction to Family History, and services offered by the Invercargill Public Library. Denise Grant (IPL).
- Wed 17 August: Scottish Research and Scotlands People website. Lesley Instone (NZSG).
- Thu 18 August: Care of photographs and what the Library Archives hold. Elsye Clark (IPL).
- Fri 19 August: World War 1 and his family's involvement. John MacManus (NZSG).
Return to top of page