Forthcoming Events and Notices
There are no special events planned by the branch until next year.
The next committee meeting is set for Wednesday 14 February 2018.
The branch committee has reconsidered a change in the meeting days and times for the winter months (June-July-August) only - see note below.
(Notes on recent past events are included on this page.)
Branch meeting changes - June, July and August 2017. - but 2018?
The branch committee changed the days and times for three winter-month meetings, from the third-Wednesday evenings to the third-Saturday afternoons for June-August, starting at 1.30pm. These were held during normal opening hours of the Public Library.
Despite some seeming significant advantages for members [use of the library carpark; the lift was available for access to the first floor; and there were opportunities to make more effective use of the branch's resource rooms], the response was negligible, and disappointing.
Whether this warrants a repeat in 2018 is to be discussed at the February meeting. So.... if you valued these changed arrangements, please let a committee person know!
Past event: Family History Week : August 2017
August each year is Family History Month, and a number of special events are planned nationally to celebrate family history, to encourage families to share their stories with all family members and encourage new members to join this rapidly growing hobby.
In 2017 the Southland Branch held a series of 5 lunchtime seminars, in conjunction with the Invercargill Public Library; there was an encouraging attendance at most sessions. The venue was the Meeting Room on the 1st floor of the Invercargill Public Library.
A list of the presentations is shown following.
- Mon 7 August: Introduction to genealogy and family history, and how to record your results. Roger Washbourn (NZSG).
- Tue 8 August: The journey of my whakapapa: how I used the resources available to explore my Mãori heritage. Jay Coote. (Community Connections Coordinator, Public Library).
- Wed 9 August: Family Research in England and Wales. Lesley Instone (NZSG).
- Thu 10 August: Highlights from the Archives Collection : a brief look into what?s new and popular in our Archives. Elsye Clark (IPL Archives).
- Fri 11 August: Gold rushes and Wardens Court Records. Prue Turnbull (NZSG Dunedin).
Return to top of page