Forthcoming Events and Notices
There are no special events planned by the branch until August - see below.
The next committee meeting is set for Wednesday 4 July 2019 at 2pm in the Genealogy Room.
Upcoming: Southland Branch's 50th Anniversary : 2019
2019 is the 50th anniversary year of the Southland Branch, which initially began in May 1969 as the Invercargill Genealogists Club. Following approval by the New Zealand Society of Genealogists, the club was accepted as an official branch.
The first meeting of the new branch (the 5th branch to be affiliated to the new Society) was held on 19 November 1969.
The branch committee has planned an anniversary dinner to mark the occasion, at the conclusion of Family History Week 2019 on Friday 9 August 2019. It is to be an evening event, at the Ascot Park Hotel (located off State Highway 1 on the eastern outskirts of the city),
at 6.30pm. The dinner will be a 2-course buffet style meal; the cost will be $50 per person, which must be paid in advance to the branch. A 2-page registration form which contains some details can be downloaded HERE. Registration must be completed by Friday 1 August please.
For further details contact the branch at Southland@genealogy.org.nz
Upcoming: Family History Week : 5~9 August 2019
The Southland Branch observes August as Family History Month and holds a series of lunch-hour seminars in conjunction with the Invercargill Public Library, in the Meeting Room in the Library building, from 12.15pm on the week 5-9 August.
Entry is free, and you are welcome to bring your lunch. The presentations are around 40 minutes. The programme is :-
- Mon 5 August: Preserving the Past for the Future. Mary Stuart (NZSG) and Early Bluff birth facts. Yvonne Service (NZSG).
- Tue 6 August: Tracing your whakapapa. Joe Wakefield (Invercargill Public Library).
- Wed 7 August: Using local resources - a Riverton case study. John Macmanus (NZSG).
- Thu 8 August: Discover the Invercargill Archives Online. Amanda Hunter (Invercargill City Library Archives).
- Fri 9 August: It's not all on the Internet! Wendy Shaw (NZSG).
Return to top of page